This course fulfills the 2-unit requirement on the laws and rules of nursing for Florida licensed practical nurses, registered nurses, clinical nurse specialists, and advanced registered nurse practitioners.
Lauren Robertson, BA, MPT
Susan Walters Schmid, PhD
Contact hours: 2
Expiration date: February 1, 2021
Course price: $19
Historical review of nurse practice acts and nursing boards. Comprehensive discussion of Chapters 456 and 464 of the Florida Statutes and Division 64B9 of the Florida Administrative Code. Description of the disciplinary process and the alternatives to discipline provided through the Florida Intervention Project for Nurses. Discussion of ethical decision making and the relationship of ethics and the law.
Criteria for Successful Completion
A score of 80% or higher on the post test, a completed evaluation form, and payment where required. No partial credit will be awarded.
When you finish this course you will be able to:
- Describe the history of nursing registration and nursing practice acts.
- State the difference between boards of nursing and nursing professional organizations.
- Distinguish between the general provisions of the Florida Statutes and the rules that cover practice for Florida nurses and nursing assistants.
- Review the powers and duties spelled out in Division 64B9 of the Florida Administrative Code.
- Summarize the grounds for discipline, due process procedures, and alternatives to discipline for nurses in the State of Florida.
- Discuss the way in which medical ethics differs from the law.